How ePacket Works
Most products in the world are produced in Asia, and more specifically - China.
This has created a global need for fast and affordable shipping.
In 2011, there was a groundbreaking change in the world of ecommerce shipping.
The US Postal Services (USPS) had established an agreement with China to create ePacket - a convenient and affordable new way of shipment.
Beforehand, products were shipped from China to the US by sea, and this used to take up to two months which was bad news for ecommerce store owners and online shoppers alike.
What Is ePacket?
Geared towards ecommerce, this shipping system allows faster deliveries at more affordable rates for products being shipped from China and Hong Kong.
it’s the most popular delivery method in ecommerce and for good reason - it’s relatively fast, affordable, and trackable.
There are various requirements associated with using ePacket:
1. Weight - The maximum weight of an ePacket parcel must not exceed 2 kg (4.40 lbs). This includes the box, packaging, and filler material.
2. Dimensions - There are strict levels to adhere to when using ePacket.
- The maximum length permitted is 60 cm (24”) and the sum of length, width, and thickness should not exceed 91 cm (36”).
- The minimum length permitted is 14 cm (5.5”), and the minimum width is 11 cm (4.3”).
3. Value - The maximum permitted value of the package is 400 US dollars.
Who Delivers It?
ePacket is delivered from China or Hong Kong to eligible countries around the world and is a subsidiary of China Post Express Service (China Post EMS).
Within Chinese territory, China Post EMS is responsible for delivering the package from the various industrial provinces to the border, and then forwards it to the destination country.
From that point, USPS in the US and equivalents in other countries sort and deliver the parcels to the recipients’ nearest post offices.
How Long Does It Take?
One of ePacket’s most attractive benefits is that it’s relatively fast. Parcels sent using this method are expected to arrive within 30 days, though it often can take as little as 7 days. Here are the average delivery times for various regions:
- USA - 10-20 working days
- Russia, Saudia Arabia - 7-20 working days
- Other countries - 7-30 working days
Some factors can delay ePacket deliveries, such as weather conditions, holidays, and other extenuating circumstances.
Overall, around half of the delivery time is spent on reaching the destination, and the other half is used for sorting, routing, and delivery within the destination country.
Which Countries Have It Available?
As of April 2020, there are 44 countries that are eligible to use this delivery method:
- Great Britain
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
How Can ePacket Be Tracked?
In addition to being a fast and affordable delivery option, parcels sent using ePacket are fully trackable.
For ecommerce store owners this is a massive advantage, as online shoppers prefer trackable deliveries.
Deliveries can be tracked on the China Post EMS website, which is available in both Chinese and English.
ePacket tracking codes consist of 13 digits and start with one of the following letter combinations: LM, BZ, LX, LN, LZ, LW, LF, LK, KQ, LO, or LL and end with CN (indicating the country of origin, China).
Here are some examples of tracking codes:
Why ePacket Is Great For Ecommerce
ePacket was designed to accommodate ecommerce.
Here are the main advantages:
- Low Rates - Being able to deliver packages at cheaper rates allows you to price your products more competitively
- Free Tracking - The tracking feature which significantly boosts online sales is free, with no added costs or fees
- A Door-To-Door Solution - Due to the agreement between the participating countries, this delivery method is seamless and streamlined
- Faster Delivery Times - ePacket is fast, as standard deliveries from China can take months. The speed is also impressive when considering the vast volume of ecommerce deliveries in recent years
- Free Returns - A major advantage for ecommerce merchants is the ability to offer free returns for undeliverable items. When online shoppers make a purchase, they often check the returns and exchanges policy. The more favorable the terms, the easier it is to make a sale. ePacket offers free returns on parcels that weren’t successfully delivered, and this enables the merchant to refund the customer without losing money.
For almost a decade, ePacket has been facilitating ecommerce deliveries for merchants and customers around the world.
With its relative speed, convenience, and low costs, it’s the perfect solution for small packages that fit the criteria.
With the further rise of ecommerce in the coming years, more developments in the field of international shipping solutions are expected.