Great! You’ve found us because you’re searching for eCommerce terms like –
• Which eCommerce website platform is best?
• Which free eCommerce builder is good for me?
• Which online store builder is best for my business?
• Which eCommerce platform should I pick for my SME?
What is a Website Builder?
Website builders are tailor-made packages that let you build a website quickly and easily. You don't need any coding expertise or design skills to get started. Drag-and-drop functionality gets it done.
Different Types of Websites Builders
Is your website for personal or commercial use? Are you looking to set up a blog, a portfolio of your artwork, photography, music or literature, or maybe even an eCommerce platform?
Let's take a look at your options:
• Blog websites
• eCommerce websites
Now let's take a closer look at eCommerce website builders
A basic understanding of templates is needed to get started. Everything else is customizable, and we will show you exactly what you need to know.
Top 6 eCommerce Platforms for 2021
• Wix - AI functionality, and multiple business plans from stores.
• Shopify - intuitive, easy-to-use website builder ideal for newbies with a unique pricing model.
• Squarespace – high-quality website design ideal for SMEs, with lots of added extras.
• BigCommerce - great for medium-and large online stores with feature-rich elements in the editor, best for experienced builders.
• Weebly - simple and easy to use editor with limited flexibility, budget-friendly and surprisingly easy to transfer to another host.
• Volusion - a powerful eCommerce solution for designing workshops, launching campaigns and editing product catalogs.
It is a leading eCommerce Builder that gives you creative carte blanche with an array of styles, templates and customized site builder features.
It is great if:
- You want a tailor-made, beautiful small business websites
- You want a presence online with full mobile commerce functionality
Notable Wix features include:
- Feature-rich eCommerce Platform
- Intuitive Website Builder options
|VIP||$39 per month|
|Pro Plan||$22 per month|
|Unlimited Plan||$17 per month|
|Combo Plan||$13 per month|
|Enterprise Plan||$500 per month|
$49 per month
$27 per month
$23 per month
A feature-rich set of free tools for marketing, managing and growing your business online.
It is great if:
- You want an all-in-one website builder with hosting and easy product management
- You want lots of eCommerce Templates to choose from
Notable Shopify features include:
- Full mobile commerce functionality
- 70+ professionally themed templates
- Dropshipping and Order Fulfillment solutions
- 100 payment gateways with competitive shipping rates
|Basic Shopify Plan||$29 per month|
|Shopify Plan||$79 per month|
|Advanced Shopify Plan||$299 per month|
Serves as an intuitive, all-in-one website building platform for creating a dynamic, robust online presence.
It is for you if…
- You want to switch templates without losing any content
- You are looking for a Powerful Platform for an online store, blog, pages, and multiple author features
Squarespace is peppered with features, including the following:
- Custom CSS
- Direct Editing Options
- Built-In Mobile Websites
- Custom What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) Editor
|Personal Plan: $12 per month||Basic Commerce Plan: $26 per month|
|Business Plan: $18 per month||Advanced Commerce Plan: $40 per month|
It is the go-to eCommerce Builder solution if you’re looking to create a truly stylish, differentiated, enterprise-level website.
It is great if:
- You want a fully scalable and secure platform
- You want to accelerate the growth of your business
Notable BigCommerce features include:
- Fully customizable storefront design
- Maximum speed, functionality and SEO optimization
- Localized payment solutions with multi-language features
- Multi-channel commercial activity in marketplaces and social commerce
|Standard Plan||$29.95 per month|
|Plus Plan||$79.95 per month|
|Pro Plan||$249.95 per month|
|Enterprise Plan||Custom Pricing|
It allows you to build a free website with a wide range of customization features at your fingertips.
It is great if:
- You want an easy way to grow your business online
- You want to create a unique website that differentiates your brand
Notable Weebly features include:
- SEO tools to boost search engine ranking
- Multiple third-party apps and integrations supported
- Wide range of design options with templates and photos
|Connect Plan||$5 per month|
|Pro Plan||$12 per month|
|Business Plan||$25 per month|
Offers a complete eCommerce solution for building a successful online store.
It is great if:
- You want to create a visually-appealing website
- You want the best sales, marketing and SEO features
Notable Volusion features include:
- Easily customizable store editor
- Fully integrated with ApplePay, Stripe, and PayPal
- Google Analytics, SEO Tools, and Discount Manager
|Personal Plan||$26 per month|
|Professional Plan||$71 per month|
|Startup Plan||$161 per month|
|Business Plan||$269 per month|
|Prime Plan||Custom Pricing|
How do we Choose the Best Website Builder for eCommerce?
• Platform testing – how responsive and functional is the platform?
• Feature comparisons – apps and integrations, payment methods, social sharing, etc
• Support – overall quality of technical support from eCommerce Builder agents, professionalism, proficiency, and promptness
• Value for Money – cost/benefit analysis and features provided by the eCommerce Builder
• Ease of Use – can you build your own eCommerce website?
• Third-Party Integrations – Details of useful integrations that are compatible with the eCommerce Builders.
• Payment Gateways – these are the ‘middlemen’ between customers and your payment processor. Once data is input into your site, the payment gateway safely sends it to the payment processing company.
• Hosting – optimal hosting solution for your eCommerce Builder.
• Speed – Rapid loading is essential for eCommerce sites.
Major Website Building Trends in Upcoming Year
According to Internet Live Stats, the global number of websites in 2019 is 1.72 billion and it is expected to be $4.5 trillion worldwide eCommerce sales by 2021.
By 2040, 95% of purchases are expected to come from eCommerce activity
Rising retail eCommerce sales
It comes as no surprise that online sales offer added comfort, convenience, and cost-effectiveness over traditional retail sales. Online sales across the board comprised 11.813% of retail expenditure in February 2019. General merchandise sales through traditional stores comprised 11.807% of total sales and while online sales are expected to increase 14.8% year-on-year, traditional retail sales will grow by just 1.9%.
The following chart illustrates the projected eCommerce growth courtesy of eMarketer:
• 2020 – 14.3% year-on-year growth to $686.52 billion
• 2021 – 13.7% year-on-year growth to $780.57 billion
• 2022 – 13.3% year-on-year growth to $884.38 billion
• 2023 – 10.5% year-on-year growth to $915 billion
PWA for eCommerce Websites
Progressive Web App (PWA) functionality allows your website to function as if it is an app. Thanks to innovative developments in browser functionality, push interfaces, and cache, users can easily add websites to their home screen and receive messages with no Internet connectivity.
Nowadays, eCommerce platforms offer cutting-edge customer support services. Many of these feature unique AI learning engines capable of self-populating with Q&A. Customer support services encompass chatbots, and real-time communications software for enhanced services, and sales-oriented conversions.
Chatbots are regarded as the ‘voice’ in consumer retail communications. These software programs maintain quasi-conversations with real people via digital chats. Artificial intelligence (AI) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) technology offer enhanced customer support and service since they mimic real person-to-person exchanges.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is increasingly being used in eCommerce applications. Businesses can use AI technology for predictive processes, and deliver customized experiences for individual users. It is used for studying and acquiring customer behavior. By personalizing the customer journey, it is possible to increase online sales much faster than at a brick and mortar outlet.
The Leading eCommerce Builders in the Top 1 Million Websites
Extensive analysis of the eCommerce Builder industry has revealed interesting insights regarding the Top 1 Million sites.
Information is provided courtesy of BuiltWith data:
• WooCommerce checkout 26%
• Shopify 18%
• Magento 9%
• OpenCart 5%
• BigCommerce 35%
• Other 39%
Building a successful eCommerce site doesn’t have to mean a big budget, but instead identifying the tools and services that can help streamline the launch of an intuitive and user-friendly buying experience. Accordingly, it’s wise to read all the available eCommerce builder reviews to find the appropriate option to match your business’s unique demands and capture your audience’s attention.